Skip to main content

What Hinders Revival Once It's Started? Part 2: Sectarianism, Legalism, Misdirected Zeal

Satan is not sovereign. He cannot thwart what God intends. When God chooses to revive, He will. Yet while God is sovereign, we are responsible to respond to His Spirit in repentance, obedience, and faith. God moves; we respond. That’s revival. That’s the Christian life.

So how does Satan try to disrupt revival? One day, he’ll launch a final assault against Christ and His people, leading the nations to rebel against the holy city (Rev. 20:7–9). He will fail then, just as he fails now when he attacks God’s people head-on. But he succeeds through subtler means.

One of his most effective tactics is the divide-and-conquer tactic—especially in the weeks and months after revival begins. Here are some of the ways we unknowingly join him in undermining God’s work.

1. Sectarianism

Sectarianism occurs when loyalty to a subgroup becomes divisive, leading to suspicion, rivalry, and exclusion.

One group thinks they’re more spiritual because they raise their hands—or because they don’t. They sing hymns—or they refuse to. They follow Preacher A—or they don’t. Satan has been sowing this kind of pride since Eden.

Paul rebuked the same spirit in Corinth (1 Cor. 1), reminding us that the only thing that makes us spiritual is following and obeying Jesus Christ.

2. Legalism

A close cousin of sectarianism, legalism focuses on rule-keeping rather than abiding in relationship.

Revival produces obedience born of freedom. The sinner repents, is cleansed, filled with the Spirit, and walks in Christ’s liberty. But Satan hates that freedom. He tempts us to shift our gaze from our own repentance to another’s sin.

He whispers reminders of others’ failures to those most likely to gossip or judge. Soon, self-righteous talk replaces humble gratitude. Division follows—and division kills revival, because God is never divided.

3. Misdirected Zeal

Misdirected zeal hijacks the passion of revival, focusing it on the feeling rather than the Father.

It fuels both sectarianism and legalism. The only cure is continual humility—remembering the price Christ paid for our sin and thanking Him for His mercy. Revival thrives in humility; it dies in hearts poisoned by pride, sectarianism, legalism, or misplaced zeal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huge Opportunity To Reach Sabine Parish Families With Children

There are many families with children in Sabine Parish. There are 4,141 students in Sabine Parish schools, 6,353 under the age of 18, 29% of the parish population, and approximately 3,000 households with children. So, there are plenty of unreached families with children to reach. There are many churches in Sabine Parish. 70 churches. 1 church for every 313 people. Abilene, Texas brags about the highest per capita churches at 1 for every 563. The national average is 1 for every 1015. We beat the averages. So, we don't need more churches in Sabine Parish, but we do need more biblically sound churches, filled and controlled by God's Spirit, who are committed to God's mission, and who train their members to reach the unreached in our parish. There are far fewer people attending church in Sabine Parish. 7,000 people attend church, between 3,500 and 5,000 on any given Sunday. That attendance is half what it was 25 years ago. So, we need to make disciples, not just converts. Disc...

Why are some churches full and some empty?

This is not a full analysis of growing and shrinking churches. It's just something I've thought about as I've listened to people talk and listened to myself think about the size of churches. I heard a Revivalist say the Spirit of God was clearly moving because the church was packed and the altar full. I listened to another when there were only a few that week at the church’s revival meetings say, “Well, we don’t have many, so God must be getting’ rid of the weeds so the wheat can grow. The real revival is just around the corner.” A Reformed preacher said his church was growing because the elect were hungry for the true gospel, and the preaching of correct doctrine was bringing them. Another Reformer told me he didn’t care that his congregation had shrunk. He would rather pastor a small group of the regenerated rather than a church full of the unregenerate. It seems that regardless of theological bent, we need to explain the numbers. A good shepherd will spend his days t...

Revival, Cross Country Emmaus, 1990-1997 (Part 1)

I've been trying to write this article for about two weeks. It's taken so long because I wanted to explain the Walk To Emmaus, what it was all about, and how it was uniquely conservative, evangelical, and spirit-filled in the days God used it in my life. One reason is that some will dismiss it since its roots are in the United Methodist Church. They will have a "can anything good come out of Nazareth" opinion. Another is that I have sponsored people on a couple of other Walks in the last few years in this area and found them to be more liberal and less impactful. Well, I'm not going to worry about any of that. I'm still going to do this thing in two parts. The first is the facts about this thing in those days. The second is what I experienced, the lives I saw that were changed. I'm going to do what I said I was going to do with these articles. I'm going to tell about a several-year move of God that was an ongoing revival experience for me. God didn...